International Volunteer Day (IVD) is an international observance mandated by the UN General Assembly in 1985. It offers an opportunity for volunteer-involving organisations and individual volunteers to promote volunteerism, encourage governments to support volunteer efforts and recognise volunteer contributions to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at local, national and international levels.It is a chance for individual volunteers and groups to promote their contributions to development at local, national and international levels.
Change starts with action. Better yet, an action that affects the surroundings. From students in classrooms to organisers in their communities to officials in the government, there is a way for anyone to make a difference. Start small and go big — or start big and stay big. Either way, keep coming back, keep taking action and join the movement to change the world.
To observe the International Volunteer Day, JAAGO Foundation and ActionAid Bangladesh are organising a competition for young people who aspire to bring changes through volunteerism.
This year, considering the recent 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Glasgow, the agenda of the competition would be to bring climate change through volunteerism. The theme of the competition is One Step for Climate Actions.
Objectives of the Competition:
- Implementation of Sustainable Development Goals, focusing on Goal 13: Climate Action
- Create a funding opportunity for volunteers who have difficulty in collecting funding for their projects
- Promote volunteerism in the respective communities
- Encourage youth to take part in Sustainable Development Goals.
Eligible criteria for application:
- The project/campaign idea has to address a climate change issue
- The applicant can only apply with a team of volunteers
- The group of volunteers has to have an official authority for accountability; Example: Any volunteer group working under an established and registered organisation.
- The volunteer group has to have a minimum of 6 months of volunteering experience;
- The nominated volunteer group member, who receives the funding, has to have a bank account.
- The members of the volunteer groups age have to be between 18 to 35 years old.
- The volunteer group has to be non-political.
- A project plan without a budget would not be accepted.
- The volunteer group applying for the grant must be gender-balanced.